So this is something new I am going to be doing, which is that every week on a Monday I will be recommending you one book to read. And I will list reasons why you should read it. So let’s do this!
Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
“Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.”
Trigger warning: Bullying, blackmailing, bullying for being gay
- It is a LGBTQIA+ book, I can’t say anything about the representation of a teenage boy being gay, but I really enjoyed reading from reading Simon’s perspective.
- A bit of mystery, it is pretty hard to figure out who Blue is, well for me it is. So throughout the book you can try to figure it out together with Simon.
- It makes you feel all the emotions, you can laugh with this book and you would want to cry with this book, but you can’t since your mom is sitting in the same room as you.
- You can listen to the audiobook in just over 3 hours, so you can enjoy this book in not that much time and that also means you can re-listen to this book for 7 times in one day.
- There is swearing in it! I like that, not that much that you get annoyed by it but just enough to enjoy it. And probably the same amount a 16-17 year old guy would use these days.
- The movie has come out in a lot of places and will come out in The Netherlands in June and you can not see the movie before you read the book, duh.
Do you have any more reasons to read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda?
If you would like to buy any of the books I mentioned, you can use my affiliate link for Book Depository. I will get a commission of 5 % and there are no obligations in store for you. It will support the blog, here is the link: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=DebbiesLibrary